Thursday, June 18, 2020

say this if you never want a job

i had to write this as part of an application for an adjunct position at a junior college
Equity Statement
As a minority (Mexican/Filipino/Indian), I have experienced a negligible amount of discrimination because of my ethnic background. I grew up in a predominantly white suburb on the outskirts of Bakersfield, Ca. None of it hampered my opportunities however. I believe that, for the most part, America remains a very free country where any person who works hard, treats people well, and does his best to make honest and moral choices will succeed. I have taught many years and encountered many students of all kinds of ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. I have done my best to expect the best of every student, to challenge them all, and to treat them with respect. At the same time, I do not believe any student has the right to treat anyone else with disrespect, regardless of their ethnicity, their socioeconomic background, or any personal difficulty they may face. We all face difficulty in life, and we all bear the responsibility to overcome difficulty and give our best to the people around us, no matter what real or perceived slight, discrimination, prejudice, or injustice we, our family or our ancestors have faced. Difficult situations create character, and character brings success. We do not find character by casting blame on others or by demanding what we did not earn.
Ted Cortez

No comments:

Goat Farmers: Introduction

  Introduction I am not ashamed of the Gospel. [1] The late Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias explains the motivation that led him to write...