Monday, November 11, 2019

brownies

I keep a box of brownie mix on my shelf all the time. Actually, it's a box from Costco with five bags of brownie mix. I get a hankering for brownies every month or so, sometimes more often, sometimes less. They're easy to make and easier to eat. My mom used to have me help her bake cookies which I do with my kids but I can mix a batch of brownies and down a couple within 20 minutes or thereabouts. 

Imagine the logistics and discover that goes in to this little chocolate delight. Not only does Costco have to get the mix to my store, but someone had to test the recipe (Ghilardellis), put it in a box, sell it for a decent price, and do all of this on a mass scale. What about the genius who actually created the first brownie? Or the person who found that if you put flour, eggs, baking soda, oil and sugar together and heat it up, you get this thing called a "cake"? Who did that? Who grabbed this tall sick of hard grass, took a bite and said, "that's delicious!" I'm gonna call that sweet and I'm gonna take all these canes and boil them to a dry concentrate and call that "sugar"? Or whoever it was that found this bean on a tree (or shrubbery or root idk) and took a bite and said "this will be amazing with that 'sugar' stuff! I'll call it chocolate!"? 

Every day I look at all this stuff we have to enjoy... Chocolate and coffee and paper to write math equations and computers to play war games over this thing called the internet and Rick and Morty that's supposed to have nine seasons but I don't believe them and all kinds of fruit and a few tasty veggies plus animals that are also tasty and stars in the sky and mountains over there and beaches that way and the ocean (!) and clam chowder and this world is so amazing... But what blows my mind even more so is that some people believe all of this is just the result of a near endless chain of trillions and trillions of mathematically impossible accidents each depending on one another and if even a single one had failed all of it would never have happened. Amazing

No comments:

Goat Farmers: Introduction

  Introduction I am not ashamed of the Gospel. [1] The late Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias explains the motivation that led him to write...